Friday, May 3, 2013

Talk it up!


I LOVE to talk.  If you know me, I could talk all day long... talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk.  I think by now my poor husband is so sick of me talking about it, but he still remains supportive.  One minute I think for sure I am having the surgery, one minute no, it is too risky.  But what can a girl do, it's a big decision and I just need to talk about it.  They give you a lot of information and there is a reason why it is such a long process to even get approved.  About 9 different appointments!  SO you must do your research and talk it out.


One of the best resources I have found is people that you may know that have gone through a weight loss surgery.  I have chosen (for now) to only tell three people for now, my husband and my two best friends.  Both of my friends knew someone that had the surgery, so they referred me to speak with them about it.  I also knew someone personally that I was able to talk to.  This has been extremely helpful in my research.  All of the people I spoke with have had overall good experiences.  All said they only wish they had done it sooner, no regrets.  That for some reason, this is finally the lifestyle change they could make.  All of them have kept most of the weight off, give or take 20 pounds for self correction (more about that later).

Support groups are also a great way to talk it out or even just listen.  Your clinic or the hospital near you will most likely have a once a month support group.  I went to one a few weeks ago.  And I have not even made my final decision yet  or received final approval.  I just wanted to listen to people and what they are going through.  My group was all kinds of people; some had the surgery 6 years ago; some 2 weeks before; some like me and contemplating it.  Mostly it was success stories, but there is a support group for a reason...it's hard.  I mean reeeaaalllly think about it, surgery or not, to lose weight...to really lose weight you have to give up the things you love.  Going out to eat will be different, the family get togethers, the holidays, the birthdays, dates, ...for me these are usually food centric activities that I have been raised to eat my little heart out at.  For the rest of my life WILL be different.  And that my friends is a good thing :)

If you ever need to talk, I'm here for you!

-CB

No comments:

Post a Comment